Subject: Re: Do you use the BEEP feature?

Re: Do you use the BEEP feature?

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:25:38 +0200

On 13.06.2007, pondlife wrote:

> I've not tried it, but looking at the code there is some kind
> of recording beeping enabled by the "voice menus" option.

There is a recording beep - but so far it's *only* for the
hwcodec targets (i.e. Archos recorders and Ondio FM). This is
actually more like a burp instead of a beep, due to the way how
it is generated.

The difficulty with producing a beep for recording is that it
has to work without disturbing recording, for 2 reasons: the
simple "first beep, then record" would (1) cause an unacceptable
delay before starting the recording for some applications and
(2) break prerecording.

> And Rockbox cannot (AFAIK) produce any audio output when
> paused - so entering pause couldn't beep for example.

This "no output while paused" behaviour should go imo. Pause is
a feature of the playback engine, not a feature of audio output
in general.

Regards, Jens