Subject: Help us with a download mirror!

Help us with a download mirror!

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:14:49 +0200 (CEST)

Hey friends,

We (as in me, Björn and Linus) admin the two main servers that we run
Rockbox-related servers on: (which is the same host as and

On the second server, we pay for 160GB transfer per month but recently we've
been up to and beyond 350GB or something like that and we need to address this
situation (or pay more to our providers but we rather avoid that :-O).

Here's what we want to do:

  1 - Ask around our community if there are people with servers and bandwidth
      who are willing to run a mirror for Rockbox's download services! If you
      have a server with decent bandwidth and some spare harddrive space
      (currently all the files use 3379MB), do mail me privately and we can set
      you up in no time!

      I hope to make the actual host name a round-robin
      DNS entry with all the mirrors so that there will be a somewhat automated
      load sharing.

  2 - The site will soon move (back) to the current server, which got a 10mbit/sec connection now and we deem
      it fast enough to provide this service and it makes sense to do it from
      there since that server is on an unmetered internet connection.

  3 - If that is not enough to offload the current download server, we may move
      the main download server to the server (and then possibly
      introduce the current download server as "just another" mirror for the
      download files...)

Let's start with getting some mirrors running! I know there are people around
that have connected machines that can do this (and I've declined offers for
this in the past). Please step forward now and help us even out the load a bit.
If we do this good, it should only benefit the Rockbox-using crowd as we will
lessen the burden and importance of any single host.

  Daniel Stenberg -- --