Subject: Re: Which Toshiba model

Re: Which Toshiba model

From: Robert Menes <viewtiful.icchan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:33:25 -0400

On 6/18/07, Rocker <rocker_at_shaw.ca> wrote:

> OK folks I see that according to the rockbox site that the RB supported
> models are the X & F series.
>
> I am searching around on EBay where I see listings with full model names.
> Please, which models are the best for rockbox:
>
> Toshiba gigabeat MES60VK (60 GB) Digital Media Player
>
> Toshiba Gigabeat F40 Portable MP3 Player
>
> Am I right in assuming that the 40 gig model is the only one that will
> support rockbox?
>
> Could someone please advise about the X series? Can't seem to find one on
> EBay.
>
> Thanks for your help...rocker

Hi rocker,

Get the F40 model; that's a Toshiba Gigabeat F model. Toshiba has a kinda
funny way of marking the model number on their players. For instance:

MEF40S <-- (doesn't make much sense initially, right?)

The "F" in the model is actually what series it's from, the number (in this
case 40)
is the capacity of the drive, and the "S" is the color of the case; this
would mean
silver.

None of the Gigabeat S models are supported yet, so get yourself an F model
for now.
And as for the X models, those were sold more overseas than here in the U.S.,
so you
may not come across them as often.

Rob
(Rockbox user since 12/28/06; running on a 5.5G iPod video, 30GB)

--
Nobody's ever lost in life...they're merely taking the scenic route.