Subject: Re: Interesting problem with ipod 5th generation

Re: Interesting problem with ipod 5th generation

From: Robert Menes <viewtiful.icchan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:10:44 -0400

On 6/20/07, Sharon <smace26_at_comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I don't know what is going on, but I had put rock box software in my ipod
> and now the computer doesn't recognize it when I plug it in. The software I
> am running is about 1 week old. I try everything that I can to get it to
> work. I had uninstalled it and got apples software in and the computer
> recognized it, but as soon as I put rock box in the computer stopped
> recognizing it. The computer beeps when it is plugged in, but it won't
> show up in my computer. I am visually impaired and any help with this would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I'm also an iPod user, so I'll try to help out. There's a few things we need
to check
first:

1) Did you open iTunes and at least disable "Open Automatically when this
iPod is Connected" and turn on "Enable Disk Use" when you connect your iPod?
This should allow the iPod to show up as a drive in Windows.

2) While using Rockbox, are you connecting your iPod to your computer while
it's running, or are you booting into Apple's firmware? If you're connecting
it with Rockbox, remember that Rockbox has no native USB mode yet on the
iPods, so they should just reboot into Disk Mode (Apple's emergency disk
mode).

Make especially sure that you have "Enable Disk Use" set in iTunes. A lot of
problems stem from people forgetting to set it.

If you're not using Windows, let me know. I'll give you proper instructions.

Rob
(Rockbox user since 12/28/06; running on a 5.5G iPod video, 30GB)
--
Nobody's ever lost in life...they're merely taking the scenic route.