Subject: Re: Problem with Tagcache . . .

Re: Problem with Tagcache . . .

From: Tom Cole <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:48:36 +1200

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:33:47 -0400, "Ben Wilson" <>

>As an update:
>I got home and used id3v2 to convert all V1 tags to V2.[1] I then
>stripped all V1 tags.[2] I removed all database files and rebuilt the
>database. Thus, there should only have been V2 tags. The result was
>the same three variants of Alanis Morissette (Morisette, Morrissette,
>I then forced the tags to read Alanis Morisette, deleted the database
>files, and rebuilt the database.[3] Again, I was faced with the same
>three variants of Morissette's last name. I then listed all tags and
>grepped for 'Alanis' to see if the tags showed any spelling
>variants.[4] There were no spelling variants.
>Finally, I again deleted all databases, shut down the player, booted,
>rebuilt the database and rebooted. Still have three Alanises (Alanii?)
>Is there any way to pry open the database and force a change? I mean,
>if it were in something like sqlite format...

Do you use a Windows PC, or has your Archos been connected to a Windows
PC at some time in the past?

If so, the Database Update process may be picking the incorrect ID3
information from up old entries in the Recycle Bin and/or the System
Volume Information folders on the Archos.

There is a Rockbox plugin which you can use to remove these folders from
your Archos.