Subject: Re: Ripping MiniDiscs

Re: Ripping MiniDiscs

From: Jacob Rau <jacob.rau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:21:00 -0400

On 7/23/07, David <elephant_at_tele2.no> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just wondered if anyone of you, in here, would happen to know:
>
> Is there available any Minidisc players, that can be connected to a PC, and
> rip the tracks to either .wav or .mp3 tracks on the pc. I have about 200
> minidiscs, filled with tons of music, that I want to convert to mp3, and put
> on my RB unit. Any feedback would be greatly appriciated!
>
> Thanks,
> DP

A quick Google search didn't really turn up anything that looked
incredibly useful. The only way I can come up with is to plug the
audio out of the player to the input of your sound card (yes, this is
going to suck. Hopefully you aren't an audiophile...) and use Audacity
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to record an entire MD to a wave
file. Split out the different songs (should be easy to do as the graph
of the waveform will show a flat line during silence) and save them as
MP3. Now, you can either tag them by hand (not preferred) or use
MusicBrainz (http://musicbrainz.org/) to tag them (semi)
automatically.

Someone else here might have a better idea...

Good luck,
Jake