Subject: Re: Port of rbutil to QT4

Re: Port of rbutil to QT4

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:36:08 +0200

On 7/26/07, James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net> wrote:
> Interesting. According to that, QT 3 apps are accessible via MSAA in
> Windows. I've never seen a QT app that was accessible, but maybe I've
> never used a QT 3 app...

After some research and trying around I found some details about that.
Qt4 needs a plugin to provide the screen reader interface. On windows
this is simply a dll that you can put in the same folder as the
binary. I guess most applications are simply not shipped with this
plugin. In that case the application works as expected, except that it
(unsurprisingly) will not be accessible. Also, Qt plugins require the
application to be dynamically linked. I haven't checked about Qt3 but
I guess it's working similar here.

> I guess I'll have to try the new rbutil at some point and see whether it
> works.

I've put a windows binary of the current svn state online including
the needed dlls. If you want to try look here:
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uhcn/rockbox/rbutil/rbutilqt.zip
Just extract all files to a folder and run the executable. Beware that
this is a quite early stage -- currently only installing an archived
or current build works, a couple of buttons don't have a readable text
(as they only contain images) and I'm pretty sure there are other
quirks. But it does at least partially speak, I checked with Jaws.

 - Dominik