Subject: Re: Update on M4A problem

Re: Update on M4A problem

From: Dave Hooper <dave_at_beermex.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 23:34:32 +0100

>I reported yesterday that my MP4 files would play in RBX at a double speed
>and choppy.
>
> I downloaded FooBar2000 and tried to Optimize the MP4 Layout. Before
> doing so, Foobar2000
> would play these files a bit strangely also. After Optimizing, FooBar
> still had trouble.
>
> I went through my library and found some files I ripped using ITunes into
> the MP4 format and they played
> fine in both Foobar and RBX.
>
> The files not playing correctly are those I recently ripped using Winamp
> and the AAC Plus format. These
> files will only play ok under the Apple Firmware or Winamp.
>
> Vince

Apparently, HE-AAC plays without problem in Rockbox on the Gigabeat players.
But the AAC decoder is not highly optimised under Rockbox and uses more CPU
than other alternative formats (such as MP4). I can't say what this has to
do with FooBar, if anything. If FooBar cannot play the files but Winamp
can, perhaps the AAC Plus files you have are nonstandard in some way. If
possible, could you rerip using an alternative format?