Subject: Re: I'm searching people who are interested getting interviewed

Re: I'm searching people who are interested getting interviewed

From: Glenn Ervin <GlennErvin_at_cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 22:54:11 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Louden" <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
To: "Glenn Ervin" <GlennErvin_at_cableone.net>; "Rockbox"
<rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 10:32 PM

> Why is it that a month or so ago when I asked the list to help me with
> putting on a program on Rockbox, which I need to have done before August
> 13,
> all I got was decention from anyone who responded?
> All I want is folks to describe in an MP3 file, how they prepare Rockbox,
> from a Blind person's perspecetive, to run on their own device.

Perhaps because we'd rather you contribute to the official documentation
rather than make unofficial tutorials that will quickly go out of date?
If there's a problem with the specific instruction in the manual, we
certainly wouldn't mind fixing it, but most third-party tutorials simply
result in people getting something wrong, then coming for us and asking
for help when we have no idea what steps they've followed.

I'm sorry if you don't feel like part of the community, but when you
actively seek to split from it by choosing not to contribute to the
official documentation it's hard to think that the community is to blame
for the fact that you got a lukewarm response.

**
To try to write the same response I accidentally wrote only to Paul, my
perspective is that it does not matter what I have or have not contributed
to the documentation, as I have walked many folks through installing
Rockbox on the three types of units I do and have owned, Archos, iRiver, and
iPod Video. I always direct folks to read the documentation before going to
the list, and by listening to someone doing it, I believe that the
documentation will make much more sense to folks.
So I don't get your point about the documentation.
Glenn