Subject: Re: I'm searching people who are interested getting interviewed

Re: I'm searching people who are interested getting interviewed

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 23:02:51 -0500

> To try to write the same response I accidentally wrote only to Paul, my
> perspective is that it does not matter what I have or have not contributed
> to the documentation, as I have walked many folks through installing
> Rockbox on the three types of units I do and have owned, Archos, iRiver, and
> iPod Video. I always direct folks to read the documentation before going to
> the list, and by listening to someone doing it, I believe that the
> documentation will make much more sense to folks.
> So I don't get your point about the documentation.
> Glenn

That's not quite what you told me, but I'll let that pass. My point is
that people should be directed to start with the manual, not be given
instructions and then directed to read the manual if those instructions
don't work: Many people will skip the "go to the manual" part and go to
ask a human for help.

If our instructions are bad enough that you feel they require a human
giving them step by step instructions, please suggest to us how we might
improve the instructions so that they can be clearer and easier to use,
rather than simply trying to bypass them and provide an alternate set of
instructions for someone to follow first so that instead of providing an
alternate set of steps, you can simply point users at the appropriate
sections of the manuals.