Subject: Fw: I'm searching people who are interested getting interviewed

Fw: I'm searching people who are interested getting interviewed

From: Glenn Ervin <GlennErvin_at_cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 23:13:17 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Louden" <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>

Why exactly is a walkthrough of the installation process necessary then?
Why can't you simply briefly summarize what is in the manual?
** Do you think that there are no folks here that have read the
documentation, and have not known where to begin?
In fact this happened this week.

For example "The process for installing Rockbox on an iPod currently
involves two steps. The first is extracting Rockbox to your device, and
the second is running a utility provided by them to install the
bootloader." This nicely summarizes what is necessary to install, but
makes it clear that you're not providing explicit directions.

You mention walking people through an install: That is a problem. But if
you're looking for a short summary, I don't understand why the manual
doesn't give you enough information: If it's enough to tell a user how
to install it, I'm uncertain how it's not enough to tell you how to
summarize it.

So please, clarify for me, how much information, exactly, are you
looking for? Maybe I have misunderstood your request. A better idea
would be to type out an example. I own an Archos Recorder, Sansa e200,
H120, iPod Nano, and Toshiba Gigabeat, and am very familiar with the
installation process on all the other targets if it does turn out that
there is some reason that the manual is not good enough for you to
summarize by, yet at the same time you aren't trying to give full
installation instructions.

** The buttons are different on all models, and there is the matter of the
boot loader for some models, such as going into the menus of the iRivers for
the matter of flashing, which does not have speech yet.
I'm sure that there are enough differences in all the models, the Archos is
the easiest.
So I would like a 10 or 15 minute demonstration of some units in MP3 format
to add to my presentation.
Glenn