Subject: Re: Fw: I'm searching people who are interested getting interviewed

Re: Fw: I'm searching people who are interested getting interviewed

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 09:51:52 +0000

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 23:58 -0500, Glenn Ervin wrote:
> It's like watching someone change the plugs in a car, which will give
> someone more confidence to do it following the step by step guide later.

I actually disagree here. The advantage of watching someone perform a
task you are later going to be attempting is that such a process is
interactive. A "student" is able to mentally picture themselves doing
the task, and have the "teacher" right there to ask questions about any
proceedings they find confusing, or less than ideally explained. The
same is true of "walking someone through the install" as you mentioned
earlier in the thread.

There is no disputing that interactive instructions are easier for many
people, but a static MP3 file is no more interactive than a manual.
Rockbox has a very active IRC channel and forums available for people
who read the manual, and still have problems. In my experience the
number of people who actually, honestly, read the manual and still have
trouble is very small. Many of the ones who the manual fails to help
lack basic computer knowledge, something which it doesn't sound as if
your podcast will be addressing.

Another reason I personally dislike the forking of effort is that the
Rockbox manual will be around as long as Rockbox is around. Where will
your MP3 be in six months? Where will it be in six years? The manual
gets updated every time the install procedure changes. Will you do a
new podcast when needed to reflect these changes? Will you provide
install support for all users of your methods? Methods, which by the
very fact they are "outside the fold" Rockbox can not (note - "can" was
a carefully chosen word) support.

This is just my opinion, I do not speak for Rockbox.