Subject: Re: Where to Find Font Files for iPod Video?

Re: Where to Find Font Files for iPod Video?

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 02:09:33 +0200

On 8/7/07, Kane Brolin <kbrolin65_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I also found one problem with a reference in the manual: When the
> manual tries to link the user to where fonts are, the resulting page
> mentions fonts but does not seem to offer a link to anything I can
> download.

You'll find the fonts at the end of the devices list on that page.
Besides, the extras page is also mentioned in the manual (in the same
sentence as the link occurs). That might be a bit problematic to read
if you're blind, so it should get clarified in the manual.

> forward this to the Rockbox community so someone can use this the next
> time he/she updates the iPod Video manual in Wikipedia:

Err, what wikipedia are you referring to? The rockbox manual isn't
part of wikipedia or maintained in a wiki, we build the manual using
latex and generate a pdf and a html version. We only recommend our own
manual, and I'm not aware of any other Rockbox manual around (but if
there is one please use the official manual ;-)

> > I have read the first part of the manual for Rockbox Video., and it
> > points to the idea that I need to make sure the right fonts have been
> > installed.

the fonts are of no use if you can't see them -- the reason the manual
mentions them is because of the (visual) themes that require them. So
if you're partially sighted you might want to use a large font,
otherwise you can simply skip installing them. Rockbox has its own
default font included and runs fine with that (but it has some
drawbacks if you're sighted, like being quite tiny on devices with a
large display).

And guys, please follow our mailing list etiquette and don't post
fullquotes. There is absolutely no reason, if you really need to look
up old posts you can just search the web archive.

 - Dominik