Subject: Re: Voice creation

Re: Voice creation

From: Stephen Clower <steve_at_steve-audio.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:36:23 -0400

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Why? Surely the *vast* majority of all users (blind, visually impaired
> or perfectly seeing) download a voice file made by someone else?

That is irrelevant. Most of the people keeping voice files updated with
the evolving lang files are those who benefit the most from them, I.E.
visually impaired users. I believe the process of generating voices and
talk clips should be kept apart, or at least as a modular component of
the Rockbox code so that those without the Linux/Cygwin know-how would
still be able to contribute. Generating a WPS file requires no
programming environment, and I strongly believe voice clips should fall
under the same category. BTW, are there any specs for the new lang file
posted anywhere? I wouldn't mind taking a crack at updating the
MakeVoices script to work with it until we can all agree on a common
solution.

- All my best,
- Steve