Subject: Re: Voice creation

Re: Voice creation

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:49:13 -0500

> generating a WPS file requires no
> programming environment, and I strongly believe voice clips should fall
> under the same category.

Generating voice files do not require a programming environment. Using
the scripts we provide to generate the voice files does not require a
programming environment. Using the scripts we provide *does* require
something to interpret those scripts, and any one of the text to speech
engines those scripts currently support. That being said, they can be
extended to support windows speech engines, but you'd still need a valid
interpreter.

Any automated script will have conditions under which it can be run,
simply because something has to run it. Your statement is merely
"Windows users are more important than Linux users, so even though you
guys who are writing the script are Linux users and may not have access
to a Windows machine, you should make your own tools for Windows users."

The voice file format itself doesn't care how it was generated as long
as the file fits the format, so any number of Windows tools could be
made to create them.

So, in all honesty, I don't see what your point is. A WPS is merely a
text file, it requires no conversion at all. A voice file requires
various information so that Rockbox can use it. One cannot simply open
notepad and create a voice file. One can though simply process the
text-only .lang files provided by Rockbox and have a .voice file
generated provided someone creates the proper tools. One of those has
been provided for you (the genvoice.sh script) and as an option you (or
anyone) could convert it for use in Windows with Mingw32, or use it with
Cygwin. Or one could simply create a new script that does the same
thing, but runs natively in Windows. The options abound. But likening
voice files to WPS files is a fallacy: One is merely a text file, the
other cannot help but require some form of processing in the generation,
unless you want to open up your hex editor of choice and manually type
in valid MP3 streams.