Subject: Re: Voice creation

Re: Voice creation

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 03:21:53 -0500

> it would be really helpful if some mention and explanation could be
> posted to this list ahead of time, so at least everyone would know
> something big was coming.

I urge you to remember that Rockbox is a piece of software that is
in-development. What you are downloading are development snapshots, not
"versions" of a released software. The change that has come by surprise
has been in discussion and development for a very considerable period of
time.

If you wish to continue using your current voice file, simply do not
update to a newer development snapshot until a new system for making
voice files is ready. These hazards come with using unreleased software,
and can be avoided by keeping track of the development status. Being a
"user" list, development issues don't really belong here.

All a warning would do would say "When this feature is done, you will
need to change to a new voice creation method" but as we cannot predict
when a feature will be finished, the warning could've been six months or
a year early. Isn't it then better for those interested to simply keep
track of the project status, and keep this list as a user/support list,
and the development list as the development list?

If we'd posted when this feature was began, it would've showed up on
this list I believe nearly a year and a half ago (if not further). It
would've done no practical good. Meanwhile, the impending completion of
this feature was discussed on the Development list.