Subject: Re: Voice creation

Re: Voice creation

From: Stephen Clower <steve_at_steve-audio.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 07:45:05 -0400

Paul Louden wrote:
> I urge you to remember that Rockbox is a piece of software that is
> in-development. What you are downloading are development snapshots, not
> "versions" of a released software. The change that has come by surprise
> has been in discussion and development for a very considerable period of
> time.
>
> This is true, but the only officially released version of Rockbox is 2.5, and that only runs on the older Archos players. Also remember that even though RB is still in development, it is far superior to the stock firmware in other players (especially the Ipod), and people want to test i out and help make it stable. However, not everyone who wants to help out has programming knowledge or the desire to learn it. In this case, asking a non-programmer to subscribe to a development mailing list would probably make more confusion than solve the problem of little to no advanced warning of a major feature change as you have emphasized. Granted, I don't think that starting the voice change thread on the users list would have been useful anyway, but giving a heads up when the specifics had been agreed upon or about to be committed would have saved some a bit of confusion. I usually stay pretty busy during the day, so I mainly find out what's already changed by checking the SVN log first thing in the morning, and I'll update if I see the change will affect my specific target; I urge all users to do the same. Finally, to the developers lerking on this list, don't alienate your users. Though maybe not as technically inclined as programmers, you have a large pool of people here who are eager to help make Rockbox better. I firmly believe that keeping users in the loop, even if it's jus an infrequent announcement about a feature change, would go a long way to accomplishing this.

To people who want to use current Rockbox builds, there is now a voices
section for each player target on the RB daily builds page. For the most
part, the Festival voices should work, and Steve Bavin's new script can
very easily be adapted to use Voxin (the Linux version of Eloquence)
from voxin.oralux.net; not sure what the licensing terms are for
redistributing its output on the net though. I just checked out the SVN
trunk of the RB code and will try to find a temporary solution to the
MakeVoices script this weekend.

- All my best,
- Steve