Subject: Re: Voice creation

Re: Voice creation

From: matthew cooper <matt_at_hampshiregoalball.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:36:18 +0100

Paul Louden wrote:
>> this
>> change was almost thrust upon us.
>
> This change has been discussed for a considerable period of time in
> the IRC channel, which is fully open and available to the public. As
> well it has existed as a patch on the tracker.
>
> There are many reasons for this change (smaller individual voice
> files, the ability to add more voices strings to the voice files on
> certain players without removing their ability to have voice, the
> future option to use different codecs such as speex for voice on
> players where this is feasible.) It was done for a variety of
> technical benefits.
>
> In all honesty, if you're updating daily you should expect things to
> break from time to time when you're using software that is not a
> release version. This wasn't "thrust upon" anyone. The software is
> in-development, and you're using development versions. It's not a
> commercial product, and nobody is forcing you to continue to update
> with development changes. It's quite reasonable to expect that if and
> when the next release version comes about there will either be an
> easy way for users to generate voice specifically for the release, or
> a wide range of voice files synced to the release version for each
> target.

I'm one of the many blind users of rockbox and it is important that i have
speach. I have an iriver h10 20 gb and as far as i know, there isn't a
stable releace of rock box for that unit yet. There are many other people
that are in the same fix right now, or feeling the same way. And telling us
to switch to a different firmwhere if we don't like this one is all well and
good, but there isn't another one that talks. I use the andre voices and if
i won't be able to use them in the future, i may consider replacing the
original firmwhere and celing my iriver and not have a player at all because
what's the point of using something that doesn't work? I'm sorry if this
comes across as being a bit on the evel side, but i had to make my feelings
known!