Subject: Updated Voice Files: Another Query

Updated Voice Files: Another Query

From: KANE BROLIN <kbrolin65_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:27:37 -0400

Hi to all.

I continue to make progress with Rockbox, but can't seem to get the iPod to voice or to spell either file names or database entries. (I've tried both.) I decided to load the "Paul" U.S. English voice--(I think this is one of the voices issued on July 29) because it is not super-fast, yet is quite clear and easy to understand. The voice identified as REED on Andre's 07/29 list of seven voices is too fast at this point for my comfort zone. I loaded this voice onto the Rockbox build of Aug. 5, and now can go into menu layers and can modify settings with ease. I also can modify how the voice works and which types of entries should be spoken. In this way I have made sure that files' and databases' speech is on.

Another thing I have done, with my PC, is I have moved some of my iPod's multimedia files into new directories that Windows Explorer can identify so that not all are hidden in the iTunes file structure. I did this in accordance with Anna's advice of last week. These directories are just off the root directory of the iPod.

Yet whenever I click on FILE or on DATABASE with Rockbox, I can play individual entries, but none of them is spelled or voiced, and there is no obvious structure to how they are arranged. Much as with the Apple firmware. Do I simply have an inferior voice? If so, what other relatively slow voice (300-400 wpm) can I use that has enough pre-recorded entries to do what I want?

Thanks,

-Kane