Subject: Re: Updated Voice Files: Another Query

Re: Updated Voice Files: Another Query

From: Brian Wolven <bcwolven_at_jhu.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:40:57 -0400

KANE BROLIN wrote:
> Hi to all.
>
> I continue to make progress with Rockbox, but can't seem to get the iPod
> to voice or to spell either file names or database entries. (I've tried
> both.) I decided to load the "Paul" U.S. English voice--(I think this
> is one of the voices issued on July 29) because it is not super-fast,
> yet is quite clear and easy to understand. The voice identified as REED
> on Andre's 07/29 list of seven voices is too fast at this point for my
> comfort zone. I loaded this voice onto the Rockbox build of Aug. 5, and
> now can go into menu layers and can modify settings with ease. I also
> can modify how the voice works and which types of entries should be
> spoken. In this way I have made sure that files' and databases' speech
> is on.
>
> Another thing I have done, with my PC, is I have moved some of my iPod's
> multimedia files into new directories that Windows Explorer can identify
> so that not all are hidden in the iTunes file structure. I did this in
> accordance with Anna's advice of last week. These directories are just
> off the root directory of the iPod.
>
> Yet whenever I click on FILE or on DATABASE with Rockbox, I can play
> individual entries, but none of them is spelled or voiced, and there is
> no obvious structure to how they are arranged. Much as with the Apple
> firmware. Do I simply have an inferior voice? If so, what other
> relatively slow voice (300-400 wpm) can I use that has enough
> pre-recorded entries to do what I want?

The voicing of file and folder names is implemented differently than the
voicing of the menus. Everybody has the same Rockbox menu, but not
everybody has the same music collection. =)

If you go to the blind user's page on the rockbox website, you'll find
the tools and instructions needed to have your file and folder names voiced.