Subject: Re: Voice should be working fine now

Re: Voice should be working fine now

From: Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton47_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:35:47 +1000

Woody Anna Dresner wrote:
> I'm using a 2 GB iPod Nano with the August 21 daily build and voice.
> Overall, it's working great! I love the shutdown messages and such.

That is because p6159 has been committed. For this to be committed p6574
had to be committed. And all of the voice file problems were from p6574.
But the voice files were still able to be built on linux.

The voice sounds like a kind of slow grandpa, but it's reasonably clear
and a good start.

Well you can build your own voice if you want on windows now. It has to
be a SAPI5 voice though. I think there is a patch in the tracker that
allows for SAPI4 voices to be built on cygwin. You will need cygwin to
build voice files on windows.

I have noticed one problem, however. If I set the Nano to resume on
startup, changing the Start Screen to Resume Playback, or whatever the
wording is now, playback does resume when I start the player. However,
if I then stop playback with a long play and hit Menu to go to the main
menu, then try to scroll through the menu, I get a data Abort error. I
don't know whether this is voice related or not, but I do know it's
related to having the player resume on startup because the way I got
around the problem was to turn on the iPod without headphones plugged
in. I had it set not to resume if headphones weren't plugged in. Then
when the player started up, I was able to go into settings and change
the start screen to the main menu, and all was well. Has anyone else
seen this problem?

  I don't see it on the h300. But maybe it is an ipod problem. Try the
latest svn build and if you still get this problem submit a bug report.
I have p6733 installed but I doubt this would fix the problem if it was
happening. I am using r14398 as well.

--
Daniel Dalton