Subject: voice lockup on H300 when many voice clips queued and silenced

voice lockup on H300 when many voice clips queued and silenced

From: James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:11:36 +1000

Hi all,

I have an Iriver H300 running a build of Rockbox from yesterday. (I
compiled from source, but I've also tested this with builds from
build.rockbox.org.) I have voicing of both files and directories set to
spell. Sometimes, when moving around in the file browser, Rockbox
freezes solid and I have to hard reset the unit. Frustratingly, I
haven't been able to come up with a reliable set of steps to reproduce
this issue; it just happens from time to time. It is usually when moving
relatively fast (but not necessarily holding down the button) through
files or directories. I have a friend with an H300 and similar
configuration who has also experienced this crash several times. I'm not
sure when this started happening, but it was definitely before August.
It did not happen in a build I was using earlier this year before the
root menu was introduced, but that was a long time ago, so that
information is not particularly useful. :) (I didn't upgrade for quite a
while there.)

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

I realise that this information is pretty sketchy, but I have honestly
not been able to come up with a reliable way to reproduce this, which is
why I am posting here first to see if anyone else who may have
experienced this has a better idea of how to reproduce it. My suspicion
is that frequently queuing many small clips and silencing them before
completion, such as is done when moving around a menu where items are
spelt, causes a crash under certain circumstances. Unfortunately, i have
no idea of what said "circumstances" might be.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Email: jamie_at_jantrid.net