Subject: storing rockbox settings and data in a separate directory?

storing rockbox settings and data in a separate directory?

From: Gert Brinkmann <>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:12:14 +0200

updating rockbox usualy means unzipping the latest so the
new files are dropped into the already existing old .rockbox directory.
Isn't this some kind of dangerous because maybe some files have been
moved or renamed, so some old files still are kept and are not removed?
I do not know if this could be a problem, but I think it might be better
to have one .rockbox directory that can be completely deleted before
installing a new version.

Currently this would mean that all rockbox data (settings, additional
themes, highscores, doom-wad-files, pacbox-pacman files, etc.) would be
removed, too. So why is this additional data not stored in a separate
.rockboxrc (or similar) directory? This would be the way settings and
highscores, etc. are stored e.g. in Linux. The desktop or application is
installed somewhere else than the personal settings.

Should I write this as suggestion in the bug tracker or has this been
discussed alread before?