Subject: Re: Cover art as jpg images?

Re: Cover art as jpg images?

From: Jonas Häggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:04:42 +0200

Dominik Riebeling wrote:
> well, people might have different opinions here. As you need to sync
> the image files anyway I don't see a reason why your sync software
> (f.e., amarok has a script that handles resizing and converting)
> shouldn't do this task.

Simply copying is easier than using sync software. Something that's very
easy on Linux (find -name folder.jpg -exec convert "{}" "{}.bmp" ";" - or
something like it) is nearly impossible to automate for the casual Windows user.

> Nevertheless, unless album art is officially supported I don't see a
> reason why we need to discuss format details -- once it is implemented
> I'm pretty sure there will be a discussion about supporting image
> formats like jpg directly.

Perhaps this could be done by loading a modified jpeg plugin and uncompress
the album art into the metadata buffer when reading the rest of the metadata.

> And once jpg is supported people will start
> to ask about other formats anyway ... so this can get quite
> neverending ;-)

I sort of doubt it'll be that neverending. JPEG is by far the most used (and
might I add, the most reasonable) format for album art, so I can see why
many people are surprised it's not supported, and possibly not even wanted.

--
Jonas Häggqvist
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk