Subject: Re: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

Re: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:08:46 -0500

> I'm sure there's some way we could get a discussion going, maybe not on
> this list, on amending the list etiquette.

Actually, discussing having it changed would be a valid topic for this
list. When someone earlier was saying it's "not to be discussed" I think
it was more meant as "This debate isn't over top-posting vs
bottom-posting, it's over 'The rules are written down, and you're
expected to follow them if you want to use this list until such time as
it's changed.'"

I'll admit, top-posting is probably much easier for a blind user. It's
in fact much easier for *anyone* to write, but it's far harder for most
people, I imagine including blind people, to read.

You, just like we, benefit from seeing / hearing what is responded to in
an email, and having small pieces that are actually relevant immediately
before your responses, rather than large pieces of irrelevant text after
is beneficial.

As well, for the archived view, it keeps the archive from containing
significant portions of repeated text.

It's a simple case of "Top-posting is more efficient for sending,
contextually quoting is more efficient for reading and discussion" and
I'm not really certain I see how interspersed quotes are less efficient,
for reading, for blind people. I'm more than happy to have otherwise
pointed out.

As I said, the quoting style was chosen for a reason, and while it can
be discussed, it's unlikely to change. And it's not what last night's
discussion was about, as that was about "There are rules, you signed up
for the list voluntarily and you're expected to follow them until such
time as you convince us to change them through reason, not through
breaking them." "You" being a global you, rather than directed at anyone
specific.