Subject: Re: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

Re: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

From: KANE BROLIN <kbrolin65_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:17:08 -0400

Mike:

You are essentially correct. If reading mail using an e-mail client like
Outlook Express or Thunderbird, and if recent messages are just being viewed
one by one, top-posting is easier to read if I'm just looking to see what
the most recent part of a thread is, because it appears right there on top
of everything else.

No, I don't think any screen reader has the artificial intelligence built in
to automatically skip older content on bottom-posted messages. But one can
navigate straight to the bottom of a message and then arrow up to find the
start of the most recent posting. This does not happen automatically. You
are correct that top-posting makes for more perceived clutter in a Web
archive, because it leads to more irrelevant search results.

-Kane