Subject: RE: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

RE: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

From: Tipton, Timothy <Timothy.Tipton_at_pxd.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:14:14 -0500

>Sadly, top-posting has become a widespread phenomenon and even more
>sadly most people refuse to think only a few minutes about the topic
>and look after good solutions.
 - Dominik

I agree, it has become a widespread "acceptance of use" - I think the
biggest proponent for this is that most businesses use Outlook or OE and
by default, both clients top post. Thanks to Microsoft, everyone in the
business world thinks the proper way to email is by top posting. I can't
tell you how many emails I have stored that repeat everything in a
thread - It makes it SO unbelievably hard to find something - if I
search for one part of that email - I'll get over 1000 results - that's
an all day affair of sifting through ridiculous amounts of repeated
emails just to find the one which had the answer I needed. Much like
_this_ list archive will be if people continue to top post. It makes the
archives un-useful and tedious to use, if not so cluttered that you
can't find _anything_.

As to this thread - I must admit, I quite enjoyed reading through all of
the responses. It was very entertaining for a Monday. I am perplexed on
how people want to justify their own preferences as the correct way -
myself included.

We humans are quite funny in that manner. Self-preservation baby! Jawol!

Rules are not, unfortunately, created to be broken - they are there for
a reason, much like I stated in my first paragraph (as one solid
example). Screen readers or not - there are more variables involved than
just a small sector of users - who either don't know how, use screen
readers, don't take the time to read/learn, or just don't care - that
make the implementation and use of these rules for this list important.

Think outside the box, that is, think outside of only yourself.

;) Good day!
Tim