Subject: Re: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

Re: Top-Posting, Vis-a-Vis Last Night's Fuss

From: James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:52:21 +1000

Stuart Lawler wrote:
> Top posting is far quicker and a far more efficient way for people with
> Screen reading technology to read messages.
I'm blind myself and I actually disagree. If messages are quoted
properly, bottom posting is nice because you first read the text to
which a person is replying and you then read the reply. Thus, context is
established before the reply. If the reply includes enough information
to establish context, quoting probably isn't required at all. However,
this assumes proper quoting. quoting the entire message and then bottom
posting is imho worse than top posting and quoting the entire message.
Only the parts of the message that are absolutely necessary to establish
context should be quoted, no more, no less. I have seen far too many
people bottom posting who quote unnecessarily large portions of the
original message which does make it harder for screen reader users.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Email: jamie_at_jantrid.net