Subject: iRiver iHP180 - successful hard disk upgrade to 80GB for iHP140

iRiver iHP180 - successful hard disk upgrade to 80GB for iHP140

From: Clive Freeman <clivemeister_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:47:10 +0100

Just wanted to let people know of a successful upgrade to an 80GB hard
disk for my iHP140, with Rockbox reinstalled and running successfully.

I used a Toshiba MK8007GAH (bought on ebay), and followed the helpful
and detailed instructions over here:
http://www.misticriver.net/wiki/index.php/H1xx_Hard_Drive_Replacement

The rubber padding on the inside of my 140 looked a little different
from that in the picture, but it was the same set of activities. It
was entirely straightforward, and took me about ten careful minutes to
open, exchange the hard drives, and close the box.

I then booted the iRiver with a USB cable connecting it to my PC, and
got it to work with PartitionMagic v8 formatting the 80GB drive as a
single FAT32 primary partition. Initially PartitionMagic formatted
it as an extended partition by default, but although the iRiver
firmware could see it, Rockbox apparently couldn't, so I re-did it as
a primary partition and all was fine.

I then reflashed the bootloader (not sure if this was strictly
necessary), installed the latest Rockbox build and fonts, copied some
test mp3s over, and it booted clean into Rockbox. I fired it up, and
all was well :-)

Pretty cool - now I get to fill it up with my 70GB mp3 library, and
re-use the spare 40GB drive in an external caddy or somesuch.

Clive.