Subject: Re: storing rockbox settings and data in a separate directory?

Re: storing rockbox settings and data in a separate directory?

From: Arno Wald <arno.wald_at_netcologne.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:00:28 +0200

Daniel Brenden wrote:

> By the way: Do i loose my player settings if i update? i'm not into set
> up my ipod again

As Dave said: If you only unzip the rockbox archive without previously
deleting the .rockbox directory, the configuration file is not
overwritten. So your settings are kept.

The problem is that it is more save to remove the old .rockbox directory
before unzipping the new version to be sure that no old files remain in
the installation. This could cause conflicts.

I had such a problem with a Sansa e280 that did lock up when playing
ogg-files. After doing a really clean installation the problem had
disappeared. (Though I do not know if it was the clean installation or
the deleting of the config file, so resetting it to the defaults.)

Another solution is to rename the .rockbox directory, do a fresh install
of rockbox (including fonts, etc.) and copy the config-file from the old
rockbox-directory to the new one. The problem here is that this had to
be done for all files that you do like to keep (e.g. highscores from a
game).

Greetings.
Arno