Subject: Re: Improving accessibility in Rockbox Utility

Re: Improving accessibility in Rockbox Utility

From: Christian Schoepplein <chris_at_schoeppi.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 15:11:52 +0200

Hi Dominik,

On Fr, Okt 05, 2007 at 03:57:01 +0200, Dominik Riebeling wrote:
>first my apologies for not replying in-thread -- I was unsubscribed
>from this list for a while due to some frustration caused by the
>continuous ignorance against the list etiquette of some people on this
>list.

Full ACK, I do not read or response to mails from this list exactly
for this reason.

>Let me clarify some things about accessibility in regards of Qt. I
>investigated in this topic some while ago, but unfortunately there
>wasn't much help among blind people thus making it harder as I don't
>know the real user "experience".

[...]

>- unless someone familiar tells us _exactly_ about the issue there
>isn't much we can do about it -- simply whining about "not working"
>absolutely doesn't help improving it. And even if I "turn of the
>monitor" (as someone suggested on IRC) the experience is still
>completely different -- for example, I'm completely unused to tts
>engines which makes it rather hard to "get" it. Therefore I (and I bet
>almost every sighted user that is not used to accessibility) have
>problems grabbing the complete issues.

I understand that a sighted person can not test a software and its
accessibility the way a blind person would do. The way the software is
used and they way how work is done with the computer differs a lot.

I'm also a blind rockbox user and I'd like to help improving the
accessibility of the software. I use a very old rockbox version on
my IAudio but I can change my setup to test things. Just give a
short overview what I should test, install and so on, I'd need to know a
bit more details to know what needs to be tested.

> - Dominik

Kind regards,

  Schoepp

--