Subject: Re: Improving accessibility in Rockbox Utility

Re: Improving accessibility in Rockbox Utility

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 21:42:47 +0200

Hi Christian,

sorry for replying that late -- I was out for the weekend ...

On 10/6/07, Christian Schoepplein <chris_at_schoeppi.net> wrote:
> I'm also a blind rockbox user and I'd like to help improving the
> accessibility of the software. I use a very old rockbox version on
> my IAudio but I can change my setup to test things. Just give a
> short overview what I should test, install and so on, I'd need to know a
> bit more details to know what needs to be tested.

Currently I know that Rockbox Utility speaks. I tried pointing at some
widgets and checked if the voice output was matching. But as I have no
real idea about how working with the software usually works for a
blind person I also don't know if this is sufficient. As a short
overview: Rockbox Utility uses tabs for displaying the tasks -- the
first tab holds the "Complete Install" and "Small Install" buttons
which do a mostly automatic install. The second tab holds the
separated install options, and so on. All items should be reachable
using the tab button. We know that there are issues with reading the
tabs titles. An idea for solving this would be to add all items to a
new menu entry (something I thought about earlier, even without
thinking about accessibility).
The configuration dialog (reachable through the "File" menu or the
"Change" button in the main window which is the first selected item)
also uses tabs. I haven't checked this but I assume it has the same
issues with voice.

For first tests it would be helpful to get an insight in how a blind
user expects the program to be useable. I.e. you could check what you
actually can reach, which parts of the UI are unknown to you and how
you'd expect it to work. I'd also suggest to look around on IRC as
that's the place devs usually meet. Domonoky and bluebrother are the
guys to talk to (I'm the latter). We're both in the CET+1 timezone and
usually around at local evening time. Unfortunately I'm rather busy
with real life at least this week so I can't promise being around or
active all the time. For further discussion about this topic the
development mailing list might also be a better place than the user
list.

In any case, thanks in advantage for your help -- hopefully we can
make Rockbox Utility completely accessible eventually.

 - Dominik