Subject: Sandisk Sansa c250 appears dead after Rockbox install

Sandisk Sansa c250 appears dead after Rockbox install

From: Steven P. Ulrick <lists_at_afolkey2.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 05:20:26 -0500

Hello, Everyone
I was having problems with my new Sandisk Sansa c250 as relating to it
not understanding perfectly legitimate id3 tags. So someone on the
Fedora Core Linux mailing list said the following:
> Fix your Sansa c250: www.rockbox.org

So I went to that site and downloaded the appropriate file:
http://build.rockbox.org/dist/build-sansac200/rockbox.zip

I then followed the following directions:

> Installing the firmware
>
> Warning: The following steps require you to change the setting in
> Settings → USB Mode to MSC from within the original firmware. Never
> extract files to your player while it is in recovery mode.
>
> 1. Download your chosen version of Rockbox from the links in the
> previous section. 2. Connect your player to the computer via USB as
> described in the manual that came with your player. 3. Take the file
> that you downloaded above, and use the “Extract all” command of your
> unzip program to extract the files in the .zip file onto your player.
>
> Note that the entire contents of the .zip file should be
> extracted directly to the root of your player’s drive. Do not try to
> create a separate directory or folder on your player for the Rockbox
> files! The .zip file already contains the internal directory
> structure that Rockbox needs.
>
> Note: If the contents of the .zip file are extracted correctly, you
> will have a folder called /.rockbox, which contains all the files
> needed by Rockbox, in the main folder of your player’s drive. If you
> receive a “-1” error when you start Rockbox, you have not extracted
> the contents of the .zip file to the proper location.

I then followed the following instructions:
> Bootloader installation from Linux
>
> 1. Download sansapatcher from
> http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/sandisk-sansa/sansapatcher/linux32x86/sansapatcher
> (32-bit x86 binary) or
> You can save this anywhere you wish, but the
> next steps will assume you’ve saved it in your home directory.
> 2. Attach your player to your computer.
> 3. Open up a terminal window and
> type the following commands:
>
> cd $HOME
> chmod +x sansapatcher
> ./sansapatcher
>
> Warning: You may need to be the root user in order for
> sansapatcher to have sufficient permission to perform raw disk access
> to your player. 4. If all has gone well, you should see some
> information displayed about your c200 and a message asking you if you
> wish to install the Rockbox bootloader. Press i followed by ENTER,
> and sansapatcher will now install the bootloader. After a short time
> you should see the message “[INFO] Bootloader installed
> successfully.” Press ENTER again to exit sansapatcher. 5. Disconnect
> your player in the usual way. The bootloader is now installed.

Then, section 2.4 of the documentation contained at
http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-sansac200/rockbox-buildch2.html#x4-60002
said the following:
> 2.4. Running Rockbox
>
> Remove your player from the computer’s USB port. Unplug any connected
> power supply and turn the unit off. When you next turn the unit on,
> Rockbox should load. When you see the Rockbox splash screen, Rockbox
> is loaded and ready for use.

Here is where I have a problem. The splash screen came up as described
above. Unfortunately, the screen then went black, and the player has
been completely dead ever since.

I would like to get Rockbox working on this player. That is my top
priority.
My second priority is to get Rockbox off this player, and get the
player back to where I can return it and get my money back. As it is
now, my attempt to get this player to work for me has resulted in me
being out $70... I am NOT saying that this is in any way your fault.
Far from it. In fact, if this player had been designed properly to
begin with, I would not be trying to make it work...

Thanks in advance for your help :)
Steven P. Ulrick

--
 05:20:23 up 8 days,  9:57,  0 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.22, 0.50