Subject: Re: The "Loading" splash

Re: The "Loading" splash

From: Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:01:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, pondlife wrote:

> I'm interested in input from blind users mainly, but does anyone else find
> the speech of "Loading" when a new track is selected annoying? Or is it
> useful?
>
> I'd like to remove this splash, at least whilst music is playing.
>
> (If the point is to give feedback that a button press has been registered,

Yes, and that a delay is to be expected.

> then a keyclick would be a more generally useful feature, I'd think.)

When I first had LANG_WAIT splashes voiced, I used a special voice clip
for LANG_WAIT: a pre-existing .wav file, just like for the VOICE_PAUSE
case. I use this tiny clip that I had of a chirping sound lasting 0.15s. I
eventually dropped that bit to simplify the patch, because the special
clip required adding a special case to the voice file generation and
because I wasn't sure whether I could redistribute that sound file. The
short clip sure sounded a lot better than saying "Loading" though. I
recommend trying that.

As for a keyclick: I'd like to try it and see, could be interesting.
But perhaps the keyclick
might be annoying too for all those cases where you do have immediate
feedback on your keypresses, and spinning up a disk is such a
disproportionately long wait compared to other actions, that perhaps a
stronger confirmation would feel better.

How hard would it be to play a wait clip only if we're spinning up a disk?

Stéphane Doyon
<s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>
http://pages.videotron.com/sdoyon/