Subject: Re: Sansa e200/e200R keymap change.

Re: Sansa e200/e200R keymap change.

From: Sander Sweers <sander.sweers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 14:13:56 +0100

On Oct 30, 2007 10:48 PM, Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> To give warning, I'll be committing this patch (in its original form)
> this coming weekend: http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/7232

I tried this for a week and I hate it. I will revert this change as
soon as I get the chance.

> It makes a few changes to the Sansa keymap which allow more functions to
> be accessed with less finger movement, increases the consistency between
> screens on-target, and increases cross-target consistency.

Have you counted the number of finger movements? I think now it
actually has more movements then before.

> The mapping may feel slightly awkward to those of you used to the
> original firmware. but it conforms better to some UI aspects that tend
> to be preserved between Rockbox targets. If there are any problems with
> this patch (other than "I don't like it", as I'm looking for objective
> objections) feel free to post here or in the task before I commit it.

I do not understand why all targets need to have an consistent layout
as none have the same button layout to begin with (except the ipods
maybe). The layout should make sense and feel natural and if this
means inconsistent with other targets so be it. The only persons who
will benef from a consistant layout are those who have multiple
players. And I suspect not many end users have more than 1.

I find that I have to move my thumb in an awkward way to reach the
menu button. Also the button is already labeled menu so it will make
sense to people to press this for the menu. When it was on the power
button my thumb was already on it when I hold the sansa (maybe I got
large hands, don't know).

Personally I have not once missed a single stop button. I tend to use
pause or shutdown completely. The only place it would make a little
sense is the recording screen and there it would only take a long key
press on play.

In the old layout the REC button did exactly what it said, go the
recording screen. Now it take an extra 2 finger movements.

It has been one frustrating week and I can probably find more
annoyances if I keep using the new layout.

Greets
Sander