Subject: Re: Sansa e200/e200R keymap change.

Re: Sansa e200/e200R keymap change.

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:07:06 -0600

> I am sure it was there a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it was not your
> change.
And this is why I'm upset: I posted to the tracker months ago. I linked
to the tracker entry. I gave warning ONE WEEK before the change, making
it clear I could do it. You didn't bother to respond in advance to this
mailing list. AFTER the change though, you responded and didn't even
make the effort to verify what changes I'd made before complaining about
them. I'm not upset that you gave feedback, but this isn't feedback.
You've not suggested ANY way to address the issues I was trying to
solve. All you did was say "I don't like them. I couldn't be bothered to
tell you in advance because I didn't care until they actually affected
me, but I don't like them." Next time you're giving feedback, consider
that perhaps you should attempt actually learning about what you're
giving feedback on, such as the intent, before doing so. I mentioned
expressly that I'm not interested in simple subjectivity.

> I never mentioned the context menu, only the main menu.

Is the new main menu button further or nearer to the scrollwheel than the old one? If it's nearer, as it is on my player physically, how can you honestly claim it takes more movement to get to a nearer button than a further one? You've claimed that it's easier, FOR YOU, to do so, and I can respect that, but I can't really see it requiring more movement to travel less distance.

> So it makes sense to you that a button labeled menu does not bring you
> into the menu?
If we're going to get technical, the button is labeled "Power". Menu is written next to it. Being anal, I can say that the button itself isn't labeled. It is, but I felt that with the necessity of a unique stop button (for blind users especially, as being able to stop from any screen is quite useful if you manage to get lost while music is paused) this off-label could be ignored, especially as the other button was already interpreted also as a form of menu button.

> No this is not the only reason. I own an ipod nano, Iriver H120, Iriver
> H340 and now the sansa. So I am pretty familiar with how the layout is.
> On all those players I find the layout perfectly reasonable and I have
> no complaints but only on the Sansa it just feels wrong to me.
I like that. "Feels wrong." No object comments whatsoever. Just your
single, personal opinion.
> Read it again for yourself and then decide if this was called for or
> not. I feel deeply offended by this and next time you ask for any
> feedback you will not get any from me again.
It was called for. You provided feedback on changes I didn't make,
couldn't be bothered to provide feedback before the changes I did plan
were included, and then couldn't provide anything beyond "I liked the
old way bettere" with no concern whatsoever to the issues addressed. If
you honestly feel that your feedback was in any way constructive,then
please point out where you suggested any ways to address the issues that
were resolved, as I clearly missed them.

And for the "soo many" people who've complained: I've received more
positive feedback on this change than negative. Note that the people I
referenced who complained MOSTLY complained about changes that were not
made. For example, one person thought I'd made it impossible to pause
the music now (untrue, pausing is still done in the EXACT same way). I'm
upset because people are getting upset NOW, after the change was made,
instead of taking a proactive interest, and are getting upset about
changes that weren't made by me (such as your recording button change).

So yeah, I feel I have some right to be upset. People are complaining to
me about things I didn't do, and essentially give me the thumbs up to
include this by not objecting when I give them clear and unambiguous
warning, THEN complain at me afterward without showing any interest in
any of the reasons why this change was made except for one, continually
going on about "Why should our player have to be like the other players"
without addressing the more important issues such as the fact that the
keymap now allows music to be stopped in the menu much more easily, the
keymap is vastly more friendly to left-handed users with a minimal
penalty to some right-handed users such as yourself, and no penalty to
others who find that the new menu button being nearer to the
scroll-wheel does for them require less movement.