Subject: Re: Patching the RB bootloader?

Re: Patching the RB bootloader?

From: Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton47_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:37:41 +1100

On 10/11/2007 12:13 PM, Grant Hardy wrote:
> So that got me to thinking: my iriver's USB circutry is busted, so whenever
> the RB boot loader starts up, it thinks the H340's connected to the PC and
> hence goes into disk mode even when it shouldn't. So, how hard would it be
> to -- excuse my lack of knowledge, I'm not a developer myself -- "comment
> out," or otherwise eliminate, USB detection from my RB bootloader
> completely, as an unofficial patch?

Actually I wouldn't expect it to be too hard. Maybe take a look at
/trunk/bootloader/iriver_h300.c I think it is.
Maybe you could have a check for a certain setting.
Like detect usb or what ever and if its on no then just don't detect any
usb stuff.
That way you shouldn't lose any functionality.

But two things to do first:
1. Subscribe to the rockbox dev list and ask there.
2. Get your development environment setup. You can't use a patch otherwise.

Do you know c?
I don't really want to mess with bootloaders because I don't want to
break your player or mine.

Remember the dangers with bootloaders... It isn't hard to brick a unit
if you make a mistake in the coding...

-- Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
daniel.dalton47_at_gmail.com