Subject: Re: New voice file format for software decoding targets

Re: New voice file format for software decoding targets

From: Thom Johansen <thomj_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 21:50:55 +0100

Stephen Clower wrote:
> Thank you for the advance warning on the switch. How soon do you expect
> the change to be committed, and by how much should voice file sizes
> decrease? Looking forward to a better codec for the voice UI.

Unless something totally unexpected happens, it's going to get commited
within hours.
As for file sizes, I'm not completely sure, as it depends both on your
desired quality settings and the speech synthesis engine you use. A file
generated with the old MP3 method that weighed in at about 1.3 megs now
is about 800kb at quality that sounds better to me. You can push the size
further down with no problems involved.

Thom