Subject: Re: New voice file format for software decoding targets

Re: New voice file format for software decoding targets

From: Onj <onj_at_AndreLouis.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 20:56:27 -0000

On Friday, November 16, 2007 8:50 PM,
Thom Johansen happened to mention in passing:

> Unless something totally unexpected happens, it's going to get commited
> within hours.
> As for file sizes, I'm not completely sure, as it depends both on your
> desired quality settings and the speech synthesis engine you use. A file
> generated with the old MP3 method that weighed in at about 1.3 megs now
> is about 800kb at quality that sounds better to me. You can push the size
> further down with no problems involved.
>
> Thom

Possibly a silly question, but how do us Cygwin users make the transition
when building new voices? Ie, run the configure as normal, but obviously
won't be choosing lame any longer.
I can't wait to try out the new codec for voices, it should be very
interesting.
Also, the voicebox script currently works in windows. Will there need to
be a new voicebox script provided to take into account the new codec?