Subject: Re: speex

Re: speex

From: Thom Johansen <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:32:29 +0100

Onj wrote:
> No sir, I haven't. I wasn't sure how to get there. Is that in the -q
> setting? Also, is there a very quick & dirty listing of the q and c
> modes? I know you mentioned them on this list, but maybe a small table
> that says q1 = such and such, and q10 is such and such.
> I've decided that I would modify my voiceBox.wsf with the -q 10 and -c
> 10 switches as well, and I did this because my drive's cluster size is
> 32 KB so even my longest which is probably speeking
> something like '[1973] Les Granges Brulees' is only 8.7 kb, so as long
> as all talk clips are below 32 kb, I can still have the highest speex
> settings and not lose any more hd space than I otherwise would.
> Just a hint to anyone wanting to make voiced directory clips actually.
> For the best quality modify voiceBox.wsf and do a search for '-q'
> and change it to -q 10.

Right now, rbspeexenc always uses wideband mode, which uses a 16 kHz
sample rate. To test out ultra-wideband mode (32 kHz), you pretty much
need to use the official speexenc binary. Just feed it any 32 kHz file,
and it will encode it to a UWB mode .spx file which you can listen to
on any Speex capable player (including Rockbox).
All the "-q" levels generate the same sample rate file and use the
same encoding mode. The difference is really just in how many bits each
frame of samples gets.