Subject: Re: speex

Re: speex

From: Onj <onj_at_andrelouis.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 23:07:36 -0000

On Monday, November 19, 2007 10:57 PM,
Jens Arnold happened to mention in passing:

> What SAPI engine are you using? SAPI engines can produce their
> output at different sample rates. If that setting isn't optimal
> for the engine it will produce aliasing. We cannot change this
> behaviour fundamentally. The fix is to select the optimal format
> for the engine used.

I'm using VW Paul for my menu's which sounds great with the detection done
by voice.pl, and I tried the same for voicebox as I was going to make an
MP3 to demonstrate that honestly, I wasn't being delusional, I prommis.

> The sapi_voice.vbs used by voice.pl is clever enough to detect
> the engine, and set the optimal SAPI output format (for engines
> we know). voiceBox, however, does not, but always uses the
> format set near the top of voiceBox.wsf (const AUDIO_FORMAT).
> This is something I did not change - it has always been like
> this. I did not want to rewrite the whole voiceBox thing but
> just wanted to make it usable for speex clips.
>
> You can change the format there to match the engine you use, or
> step ahead and make voiceBox more intelligent. But maybe rbutil
> is the way to go (once that learned to produce speex clips).
>

> Regards, Jens

Well thanks for clearing that up. I will now go off and regenerate loads
of my talk clips as I found a line that was commented out, so I'll try it.
Previously selected was: ' Const AUDIO_FORMAT = 22 ' 16-bit 22 kHz
Mono - AFAIK =)
I'll try it with: Const AUDIO_FORMAT = 30 ' 16-bit 32 kHz Mono -
AFAIK =)
then anything else I happen to read about, look up, come up with, pull out
of a hat, etc. Till it works.