Subject: Re: love the new voices for rockbox but have a question

Re: love the new voices for rockbox but have a question

From: Thom Johansen <thomj_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:37:32 +0100

Thom Johansen wrote:
>> i'm using the voices that andre has recently generated on an h140.
>> some of the menus get cut off mid sentence. so for example the menu
>> recording settings has the last s cut off from settings.
>> or when your going through the top level of menus the option recording
>> next to the option fm radio on the h140 which is what i'm using sounds
>> as if the ding from recording has been cut off so it stops at the o of
>> recording.
>> there are a few other examples if people want i can list them. sorry i
>> wasn't completely sure how to describe the problem.
>
> Having a look at this now, and it seems the tool we use for trimming
> away silence at the beginning and end of voice clips clip a bit too
> much. This should have been a problem before Speex was used as the
> voice format too, though. Will see about fixing it.

The quoted explanation turned out to be wrong. The bug is my own
fault (forgot to take into account the encoder lookahead in the Speex
encoder). A bug fix is commited to SVN, and the binary in Voicebox is
updated. The voice clip decoder in Rockbox also had a small bug capable
of making clicks, and that has also just been fixed in SVN. Sorry about
all the bugs, but such is life here on the cutting edge :)

And btw, the new encoder also adds the "-n" flag for narrowband
operation, which uses an 8 kHz sample rate (comparable in sound quality
to most cellphones). The quality is worse than the default mode, but if
you're really serious about having small voice files, you can try
this out. Please also note that this mode isn't very much tested yet,
and might have bugs.

Thom