Subject: Rbspeexenc Windows Binary Question

Rbspeexenc Windows Binary Question

From: Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:24:36 -0300

Hi folks,

I've a query about rbspeexenc.exe, the Windows binary distributed with
voicebox.

Does rbspeexenc generate standard .spx files? I ask because I am unable
to decode rbspeexenc-generated talk files using the standard speexdec
Windows binary. I have speexdec.exe V1.2 beta 1. I have source code to
V1.2 Beta 2, but its compilation is giving me some headaches.

If I understand it correctly, the speex format is supposed to be
compatible with all V1.x speex releases. Based on this, I shouldn't
need the newer speexdec, but perhaps I am wrong.

So, I would like to know if rbspeexenc is doing something that is
non-standard or if the speex format differs between V1.2 betas 1 and 2.
 I suspect the prior since Rockbox refuses to play speexenc-created talk
clips while rbspeexenc-created ones work fine on my players.

I have only just yesterday switched over to the new speex-enabled
version of Rockbox and am in the midst of updating my custom talk clip
generator. It has a feature for previewing the audio quality of talk
clips prior to starting a talk clip generation job, but I can't make the
feature work for speex if I can't decode the audio.

Many thanks for any advice,
Andrew.