Subject: Re: Blind user has questions about updating to the new voices

Re: Blind user has questions about updating to the new voices

From: Stephen Clower <steve_at_steve-audio.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 12:14:16 -0600

Sarai D. Bucciarelli wrote:
> 1. How hard is it to downgrade if I don't like the Speaks voice?
Not hard at all. Just be sure you keep a backup of your .rockbox
directory, and you'll be fine there.

2. Are there samples of the new voices used so I can see if I want to
upgrade?
Not at this time, but the new format sounds much clearer than mp3, and
it takes up less disk space. Responsiveness of voicing talk clips has
been significantly improved as well.

> 3. How hard is it to generate new talk clips with Voice box, and
> where can I find the new version of Voice box?
The procedure is identical to what you already use. The new Voicebox can
be found on the "Voice Howto" section of the Rockbox wikki.

> 4. How hard is it for a blind person who isn't a programmer to create
> their own voices using Siguin? If I do this, can I majorlly screw up
> my Ipod?
It depends. The procedure isn't as simple as it once was, and if you
aren't comfortable in a command prompt you might have some issues
getting RB voices to compile. With that said, Sean Mealin has written an
excellent step-by-step guide that will walk you through installing
Cygwin, downloading the Rockbox code, and generating voices. I'm not
sure if it's online or not, but I have the latest copy and can E-mail it
to you if you like.

Hope this helps.
- Steve