Subject: Re: Toshiba Gigabeat F40 - I messed something up and can't see the menu

Re: Toshiba Gigabeat F40 - I messed something up and can't see the menu

From: Sharon <sharon25_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:15:29 -0700

>On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 01:10:07AM -0700, Sharon wrote:
>> I tried some of the themes and now I have a problem. When I am playing mp3
>> files, the screen looks fine. However, when I push the "Menu" button, I get
>> a black screen with "Rockbox" written vertically in the upper right corner.
>> I think it might have been one of the themes I installed and was just
>> trying out. The problem is that I can't actually SEE the menu...maybe
>> because it's writing black text on the black background??? How do I just
>> restore it to the default theme or restore everything to "normal" at this
>> point, without being able to see the menu listing? I guess I should have
>> left well enough alone and not tried to get fancy! Thanks for any
>> advice....Sharon
>
>Hmm, I'd try one of the following, both using a PC with the F40
>connected:
>
>1. make a copy of the config file (.rockbox/config ?) for reasons of
>paranoia, open the original file, find/set/modify "foreground color" to
>ffffff and "background color" to 000000

In the folder ".rockbox" I opened "config.cfg" in Notepad (it wanted
to go to the internet to find something to open it, but I figured
since you said it had text, Notepad should work, and thankfully it
did). It ONLY has "foreground color" in it, nothing about
"background" or "background color", so I changed the foreground color
from FFFFF to 00000. That didn't help, however. The screen for
playing the files looks fine, but going into the Menu is still black
on black. There are other files in that folder that say
"xxx.config", like tagnavi.config, viewers.config, but I didn't see
anything recognizable in them so left them alone.

After all the above (and much more I won't bore you with), I ended up
deleting the config file and starting over...(o:

I used the wpsrockboxtv theme with Nimbus 19 and I think this will
work for me just fine. I never tried a theme before, so this was fun!

I guess since "beta" was in the name of that one theme, I should have
been alerted....just never occurred to me that it would be black text
on black background....(o:

Thanks so much to everyone for their feedback and assistance.

Sharon