Subject: Problems Installing Onto a 30GB 5.5G iPod

Problems Installing Onto a 30GB 5.5G iPod

From: Matt Lichtenberg <kerobaros_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:04:24 -0600

So, I have this iPod (5.5gen, 30GB, black, FAT32-formatted), and it's
pretty awesome. I installed iPod Linux on it, and it ran well, except
that MPD (the music functionality) never worked right.. oh well, no
big deal. So I took iPod Linux off, went back to the plan Apple OS,
and thought I'd try again with Rockbox, just for some fun.

First, I tried using the Rockbox Utility (both on my iMac and my
Ubuntu box, individually) to install the bootloader and Rockbox. Both
seem to install fine, but the bootloader claims there's no '.rockbox'
directory on the disk, when clearly there is! Well, okay, fine; I
seem to recall reading that the iPod Linux loader could boot Rockbox,
so I took off the Rockbox bootloader, installed Loader 2 from iPod
Linux, and followed their directions to boot Rockbox, et voila! It
worked! ..almost.

The iPod booted into Rockbox (after loading for a long time at the
logo screen.. odd), then claimed that there was no .rockbox directory
(even though that's where rockbox.ipod was located), and that the
'Installation was incomplete'. Curiouser and curiouser..

I'd like to point out that both the Rockbox bootloader and Rockbox
itself see that there is, indeed, a hard drive in the iPod, and can
speak with it just fine. It's just trying to do anything with said
hard drive that it doesn't seem to like.

I'm wondering if this is a partition issue; for example, Rockbox
reading the firmware partition in the iPod instead of the FAT32
partition, and getting confused. I don't know. If I'm barking up the
right tree, maybe someone could let me know; I'll get a listing of the
partition map and send that on.

Back in the day, I bought an Archos FM Recorder from eBay just so I
could use Rockbox on it, so I've been around a while. Rockbox has
always been one of my favorite pieces of open source, and I'd love to
get it running on this bastion of proprietary bull**** I call an MP3
player. I love it, but the Apple/Pixo OS is so.. limited. Thanks for
your help, folks!

~Matt