Subject: Re: VoiceBoxPlus Won't Use Default SAPI 5 Voice

Re: VoiceBoxPlus Won't Use Default SAPI 5 Voice

From: Onj <onj_at_AndreLouis.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:49:49 -0000

On Friday, December 21, 2007 4:30 AM,
Grant Hardy happened to mention in passing:

> The subject says it all. It uses LH Michelle with the lowest possible
> pitch, even though my default text to speech under Control Panel is
> Daniel. How can I remedy this?

Here's this exact same problem I posted a few months ago. I should probably
make some kind of Wiki about this topic to help people out, but for now, my
sent items folder does just as well.

<--snip-->
The fix for that is to edit the ~/rockbox/tools/sapi_voice.vbs file using
some editor, and look for the text string '809'

My line looks like this:
LangIDs = Array( &h409, &h809, &hc09, &h1009, &h1409, &h1809, _
note that h409 is first. In the original of this file, 809 is first. If
you know anything about sapi languages you'll know that American English
voices are 409 and British English voices are 809. Simply swap those two
numbers, keeping the letter h at the beginning of the string, and rebuild
your voice as before.
You will then get the voice you actually want.

It took me about 24 hours to find out where to go to finally fix this, but
let me tell you, I was happy when I did. Nobody could work out what I was
talking about, as everyone else I know was able to build the voice they
wanted. I found that strange, but this fix did help me.
You will have to switch the 409 and 809 around again to build British
English voices in future if that's what you want to do, but I hope that
helps.
I was trying to build VW Paul and always getting AT&T Anjali. I can tell
you it was very, very annoying, as I'd never even chosen that voice in
control panel.
<--snip-->

Grant, in your case, you actually want 809 and not 409, but otherwise
everything else does apply.
Hope that helps.