Subject: Re: Any hope of Rockbox on the Ipod Classic?

Re: Any hope of Rockbox on the Ipod Classic?

From: David Hall <>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 22:22:38 -0500

On Dec 22, 2007 12:55 PM, Tyler Wood <> wrote:
> But, doesn't the ipod shuffle shuffle songs- and there's no way of skipping
> them, or am I missing something?
Are you suggesting the Shuffle is limited by hardware to only playing
in random order?
Assuming enough CPU horsepower, the shuffle would make a fine Rockbox
target. Voice UI replaces the screen - and you would have the awesome
Rockbox codec and DSP support. Only thing you couldn't do is the

While I can't speak as to the second (is there a third?) generation
models, the first gen one does not have an encrypted firmware. The
primary issue with porting Rockbox to it, as I understand, is the fact
there is not a free compiler for its architecture.