Subject: Re: Rockbox-Friendly Players To Buy

Re: Rockbox-Friendly Players To Buy

From: Jürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:26:25 +0100

> With all the clearance sales that are being held in the USA, what are good player choices to buy that are Rockbox friendly? For
> instance if I can get a good price on a Sansa, which model should I consider? That's just an example.

I just bought a Sansa e280 (8GB) from Amazon (in Germany) for 99 Euro.
Works fine with Rockbox.
The original firmware is not comparable with Rockbox. No games at all. Only minimal influence on settings.
And it doesn't allow selection of files via file system, only via database of ID3 tags.
So if ID3 tags are wrong or empty you have a problem with the original firmware.
Even after installing Rockbox you can deside to start the original firmware or Rockbox on startup
so you don't lose anything.

But you have to take care not to get a newer version of the Sansa e280 (V2) which does not work with Rockbox!!!!
It seems that many manufacturers are changing their design completely (different chip) withouth changing device and/or model number.
Maybe they somehow want to trick their customers?

Also, you are never sure whether FM radio is included or not.
Although the manual mentions how to work with the radio it was not included.
They don't even care to adapt their manuals when changing the hardware!

Jürgen Hestermann.