Subject: Re: slightly ot: having problem formatting h140

Re: slightly ot: having problem formatting h140

From: Glenn Ervin <GlennErvin_at_cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 13:22:09 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "alex wallis" <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
To: <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2008 12:48 PM
Subject: slightly ot: having problem formatting h140

HI list.
Ok i recently got a new drive for my h140.
However the damb thing is second hand and the ebay person i got it off has
not done a format so i've installed it in my h140 and the thing still has
windows sitting on it.
When i first connect the h140 the drive takes ages to connect and does a lot
of clicking but eventually stops.
I would obviously like to do a drive format.
I have looked on the misticriver.net forums as i understand you can't format
an 80 gb drive with windows.
I took the advice i found on there and downloaded the swissknife program.
However I am blind and i've been having a lot of problems accessing it. So
do any blind people on list have any tips for accessing swissknife with jfw,
or does anyone have any suggestions of a more screen reader friendly program
to pick or just any alternatives at all.
I also am not completely sure what format options i need to click for the
h140. Like if it needs to be a primary or extended partition. All i want is
a single drive with all my space in one volume. But as far as i can tell
because the drive has windows sitting on it it still has all the partitions
from the OS on it.

** Hi Alex,
I use JFW and SwissKnife.
You are right, it is not real accessible.
I make extensive use of the "Jaws" cursor.
But I believe SwissKnife will not allow you to format a drive with an OS on
it, for safety of the OS.
I do have a boot disk image with DOS USB drivers, but you will need a DOS
screen-reader, which means a hardware synth.
If you wish to go this route, let me know, and I will send you the file.
Also, you may be able to use fDisk in windows, to at least format a smaller
partition, by going into "administrative tools" , computer management" "disk
management", removable storage", and look under actions.
You may find "administrative tools" in your start menu, or your control
panel.
HTH.
gErvin_at_cableone.net
Glenn